Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sundee Undies


Often, Sunday morning conversations between my husband and me go a little like this:
Me: “Awww, Man!” (My go-to exclamation in a high-pitched voice for anything I lost, dropped, broke, can’t figure out, you name it.)
Him: “What happened?” (Said in his usual, I-won’t- be-surprised-by –anything-you-say-after-living-with-you-for-almost- 4 years, tone)
Me: “My Sundee undies are in the hamper!  It’s Sunday – I need my Sundee undies!”
Him: “Sorry, dude.”
You see, I believe it’s the little things in life that create the greatest happiness and contentment.  And my pair of Sundee undies is just one of those little things.  Actually, maybe I shouldn’t call them little because there is nothing dainty about them, and that’s the whole point!  The first time the hubbs saw me in them, he told me I look like professional wrestler Bruce Santino.  For the record, that’s not the guy’s name at all.  I had a lot of trouble remembering his name the first few times; though I could have sworn I heard Bruce Santino.  No matter, because regardless of how many times I’m corrected (or even if I remember the real name), that’s the name I use when I call the Sundee undies by their other alias – my Bruce Santino’s.  If you want to know the real guy’s name for a reference, no doubt Marcus will add a comment under this post correcting me for the umpteenth time.
Anyway, I digress from my point – that’s right, I do have a point I was planning on getting to after I finished divulging TMI.  So, why do a pair of clearly unattractive, clearly un-sexy undies provide a source of happiness?  Well, first and foremost because they are comfortable as hell.  Don’t get me wrong, I like to avoid panty lines as much as the next girl, and I want to try to be cute for my boo.  So, 6 days a week I don the appropriate underwear for such things. 
But on Sundays -- oh, Sundays – I get to remove myself from the everyday world and forego these societal pressures!  It’s my way of claiming a day for myself where I don’t need to worry about anyone or anything.  These Bruce Santino’s represent all things that are lazy, indulgent, rebellious, and relaxing.   And we all need at least one day a week where we allow ourselves to duck out of the world as much as possible to recharge.  So on this sure-to-be-rainy-from-Irene Sunday, I wish for all of you the chance to find a pair of Sundee undies or some other equally comfortable and indulgent symbol of the Sunday Funday.

8 comments:

  1. I love it! I need me some Sunday undies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. umm...no, you don't, Babe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I have Sundee undies too! Unfortunately, my Mondee, Tuesdee, Wednesdee, Thursdee, Fridee and Saturdee undies all look the same. I guess that's what happens after 30 years of marriage. Not sure where in that time my "I don't give a crap" attitude started, but here I am. Love this and love you! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a duck out day in a pair of Sunday undies is a terrific way to end the week!Nice writing so early on a stormy Sunday morning. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat and aunt June, I am cracking up!! I'll let Marcus know what he has to look forward to... maybe I'll get them in different colors and slowly start working them in. :) Love ya'll!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very good. You should update this more often. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can totally picture this conversation between you and Marcus!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let's see, Sundee, end of August in Florida. Wake up-grind the espresso, open the blinds, let the sun shine in, slide the patio door open and try and breath the oppressive sauna air! For this reason and this reason alone, I will now purport that my Sundee Undees are named Pop's, multi-colored, plaid, oversized boxers!

    As I was bending down one day, I completely ripped (in a half moon shape), my shorts along the complete bottom of my ass cheek. At the time, I was cleaning and didn't necessarily want Mom or Pop's staring at my 47 year old dimpled butt, so Pops to the rescue. In all my life I never thought that getting a pair of my fathers boxer shorts would be the best gift I've ever gotten!

    My Sundee's in Florida now consists of shutting the patio door, cranking the A/C up, endulging in my espresso and enjoying my oversized Sundee undee boxers!

    Thanks Cair!!

    ReplyDelete